Monday, 28 April 2014

Yell, Shetland Islands- Photos From the Other Side of the World.

Today I was so surprised to open my emails and find photos sent to us for our photo project from the other side of the world. 
Check out all the photos here

This is what the email said:

Hi
I wondered if you would be interested in some photos of a school on the other side of the world! We are a 13 pupil primary school on Yell, one of the Shetland Islands. It can be really wild and windy here but today the sky is blue and the sea is calm and it feels like Spring! I’m sending  a few so you could choose one if you wished!
Best wishes with the project;
Caroline

Caroline Breyley
Headteacher
Burravoe Primary School
Yell
Shetland
ZE2 9AY





Now I didn't know very much about Yell, or the Shetland Islands, so I did a little bit of research.


According to Wikipedia, Yell has a population of 922 people. Yell has been inhabited since Neolithic times, around 10,200BC! Yell is home to some very interesting wildlife.


This map show the location of the Shetland Islands- worldatlas.com


What an interesting place! Post your own information about Yell in the comments, or perhaps you could ask them some questions. Can anyone answer my questions about Yell?


Which animals is Yell famous for?
Where do people from Yell do their grocery shopping?
How far is Burravoe Primary School from the sea?

3 comments:

  1. Miss Nicholas
    This is just such a great collaboration. I love the fact that you've had this contact from pretty much the other side of the world with your collaboration. I knew nothing really about Yell, or that even such a place existed before I saw this post. Your students are going to be so excited about this, this is a fantastic collaborative approach and its just brilliant to read it. Awesome.
    Mr Webb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too knew little about Yell, so I looked it up. What an interesting place. I want to answer the question about the animal Yell is famous for, but I better leave it for the children to find out. I would love to go there on holiday. Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool its playcenter

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, Room 8 loves to read them. Make sure you leave your name!